Sunday, June 26, 2011

Not for the men...

I'm sure the guys out there reading my blog don't want to read about my period! :)

I have a condition called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).  It's a hormonal imbalance that affects my menstrual cycles.  In fact, I haven't had one for a very long time.  It's been so long that I can't even remember.  One of the best ways to correct the effects of PCOS is to lose weight.  Well, I've lost weight many times in the last 5 years and it never helped. 

However, the day of my lapband surgery I started my cycle.  I was still in recovery when it started.  At first I was worried they had put a catheter in me and when it was removed, I bled.  But when I found out that didn't happen, I assumed somehow the anesthesia started my period.  Whatever the reason, it was the first time in probably 5 years I had an actual cycle.  And now, a little over a month later, I'm having another one. 

I am so hopeful for all the things that lapband surgery is going to provide me...health, physical fitness, more places to shop :).  And now, a balancing of my hormones.  Surgery was a good decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment