Sunday, August 7, 2011

Weekend recap...

I spent the day in Joplin, MO on Saturday.  I didn't get to the gym, but I did get some of a workout volunteering for the day.  I was at Joplin Family Worship helping with their mission.  They are a large distribution center for help to survivors.  I spent the morning in their big clothing tent, organizing men's pants for people to come in and "shop" for items.  I was then able to tour the devastation while I delivered lunches for their meals on wheels program.  I was overwhelmed with the destruction. 

When the guys in the kitchen at the church were giving us directions on where to drive and the streets that the church has "adopted", he gave me the border on one end, but not the other.  When I asked he said, well, the houses just end.  

I feel very blessed to be have had the opportunity to do this.  I spoke to many people who's homes are still standing...barely...and some of them were even home during the tornado in their basement, praying to live. 

Then I spent the afternoon working in their grocery store, helping people stock up on necessities.  That was an incredibly humbling experience.  I've done quite a bit of volunteer work in my life, but for the most part, when I'm helping people, it's poor people, so I find it hard to relate because I've never been poor/homeless/destitute.  However, the folks in Joplin were regular people just like me. 

When I was out delivering meals on wheels, one street "ended" with a Catholic Church.  And it was the most amazing sight.  The front door and the Cross were still standing.  It was such a message for all the survivors.  And me too. 

You know, I've been whining about getting up in the mornings at 4am to work out and how tired it makes me.  But really, how fortunate am I that I'm able to do that.  That I have a house, a car, a job and money that affords me the ability to do that.  So tomorrow morning I won't be complaining that I'm tired, but thanking God instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment