Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The return of the knee pain...

Will it ever end?  I know I JUST said that I'm so grateful that I am able to have and do good things, but today I'm not feeling it. 

On Saturday while in Joplin I hurt my knee a little.  I didn't have one moment where I knew I injured it, but just throughout the day it started to hurt.  I took it easy on Sunday; caught up on my sleep, visited my great aunt in the hospital, did a little laundry...basically just got ready for the week.  Monday morning I woke up and did 2.5 miles on the elliptical in 30 minutes.  Then Mr. Muscles had me go through some strenuous leg exercises and abs.  Afterwards I was super duper sore, but didn't think much about it.  However, I should have.  Because while on the elliptical my knee gave out a few times and it was the first time that had happened in a very long time. 

I worked all day and went back to the gym for my second cardio session; 3.5 miles on the treadmill.  After a few minutes I should have given up because my knee gave out alot, but I didn't.  So by the time I got home after a birthday dinner with family, I was really uncomfortable.  I fell asleep with my knee propped up and ice on it.  Sometime during the night I tried to turn over but my knee didn't move and that was pretty much it.  By this morning it was really swollen so I didn't even bother with the gym.  During the morning I had it wrapped in a cool wrap but the swelling grew down my leg.  I even weighed myself and found that I'd gained 4 pounds.  And I'm positive it is all fluid because my skin on my lower leg is tight. 

I called the Orthopedic Extraordinaire and he worked me in today at 1:30pm.  He felt my knee, the swelling, the painful areas and gave me news I did not want to hear...I could have torn my ACL.  So sometime this week I'll have an MRI and I'll know.  Until then, no cardio.  Tonight I talked it over with Mr. Muscles and I'll do upper body and abs until the knee pain/swelling settles back down. 

I'm trying hard not to have a pity party, but I just feel like I've paid my dues with injuries.  I just want to lose weight.  I just want to get healthy.  And I know 'll get there, but it just doesn't look like it will be easy.  But really...is anything??

No comments:

Post a Comment