Monday, October 17, 2011

My number...

I think there are a few things that should be private in life, and my weight is one of them.  Most men don't understand that concept, especially Mr. Muscles.  He continually shares how much I weigh with complete strangers and it drives me crazy.  Maybe if I weighed 128 pounds and shared Barbie's measurements, I'd be happy to shout it from the rooftop.  But since I don't, it's private.

This morning at the gym there was a guy who doesn't come in very often.  He's one of Mr. Muscles' fraternity brothers and in his words..."lacks the motivation to get up every morning and be abused for a couple of hours".  But he came in three times last week and when he showed up this morning he told me he was there because I was motivating him to work out more.  I thought that was an incredibly nice thing to say.  Especially because it takes every ounce of my own willpower to get there in the mornings.  So Mr. Muscles pops up and says...Sarah is a rockstar.  She started out weighing...and I interrupted him and yelled NO! You have to stop telling people how much I weigh!

Now, the frat brother (I forgot his name) was super nice and said I don't need to know how much you weigh, but Mike said, Sarah, you should be proud of what you've accomplished.  I am, and I like to tell people. 

How is it that he doesn't get it?  I am super proud of what I've done.  I've lost 54 pounds in 6 months.  I'm stronger.  I look good.  And even though I have bad days (usually when he weighs and measures me), I am happy.  But that doesn't mean I'll share my numbers with you.  Maybe at the end of this journey I will...and maybe I won't.  But whatever I decide, it has nothing to do with my pride, just my privacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment