Thursday, October 20, 2011

Blood Sugar...

For the first time since surgery my blood sugar crashed.  Yesterday morning I had a pretty hard workout with Mr. Muscles and at the very end, I was on my 4th set of dead lifts and it hit me; I can always feel my sugar start to crash.  I don't have the ability to think coherently after about 2 minutes so the second I felt the crash coming, I asked Mr. Muscles to get me a drink with sugar in it and I sat on the ground. 

Well, he gave me a G2...yeah...those are sugar free.  Luckily I had an orange juice in my car so I asked Angela, a girl I work out with, to get it for me.  But by the time she asked where my keys were, I couldn't explain.  So instead of instantly getting the OJ, she tried to open everyone else's car before finally finding my keys and getting it for me!  I guess a couple of the guys were worried their cars were being stolen.  Whoops!  Mr. Muscles found some brown sugar that he had for oatmeal so I ate a little of it and finally had some orange juice.  My sugar finally came back up, but of course I was a mess for a few hours. 

And the worst part about the entire thing...I did it to myself.  I haven't eaten much sugar in the last 6 months, and I certainly haven't had it first thing in the morning.  However on Tuesday morning I had two donuts.  I shouldn't have.  They aren't good for me.  They aren't good for my band.  But they were pumpkin flavored and delicious.  And then I started antibiotics for an ear infection.  So the combination of the two really screwed me up enough that by Wednesday morning my body couldn't handle it anymore. 

I definitely learned some lessons this week.  1. I need to keep some juice or candy at the gym.  2. I need to not eat sweets first thing in the morning.  3. I really need to not eat sweets. 

The good news is I weighed myself today and in spite of me not feeling like I've had much of a weight loss, I'm down a full 55 pounds now, so that's fun!

Next on the horizon...a 2 week diet that includes some protein smoothies that Mr. Muscles has concocted.  Yum! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment